Wednesday 2 May 2012

My name is Gail. Abigail "Gail" Lynn

[Monday, 2nd April 2012]

This is such a late posting. Only because I have been procrastinating. Hey I can't help it ok! :P

Regardless, its a Monday morning again. Bleh. I always hated the start of the week. But heck, what better way to start it with a little bit of art? So there I was early again, hanging around ADP office only because I didn't want to go to the experimental theater just yet.

Because we already had our plays, I was wondering what we will be doing today. I mean, will we be starting our work on our script or what. Apparently we're still working on characterization so that's why.

Half of us were late. Heck its a Monday morning and it was literally raining cats and dogs. I had to call a couple of them who didn't have enough audacity to actually inform me that they were coming in late. Oh wells, the job of the stage manager. Luckily, Rey actually stalled enough time for almost everyone to get in.

So we started with the usual walk in the space exercise for warm ups. Soon enough Rey actually made us run around like mad people and freeze when he told us to. Luckily for me, I wasn't exactly caught in some random position that was hard to hold. hahahaha

Then we were on the floor. I've done this in theater101, and it felt real good the first time I did it. So I was kind of looking forward to the lying down part :P. So we had to get as much part of our body in contact with the floor and just let loose. We closed our eyes and breathe, and as we breathe, Rey instruct us to think of the word "empty". Bit by bit, I could feel my body relaxing, like it was made of air. I could feel the stress going away with every breath and it felt like it was just me in the universe, at peace.

Every breath I take seemed to resonate within me, like wind passing through a hollow tunnel. I felt empty inside, and to be honest, it felt good. We then had to imagine a forest. I imagined a forest that I've seen inside those children books I've read. Green trees towering over the pathway, clear of any plants. It was beautiful. I wished I could really walk in that forest and I sort of did; in my head at least. I had to walk in it, and the path twisted and bended in front of me, and I followed. I could hear the soft chirping of the birds, the sounds of the insect and the cool breeze. It felt good.



Soon I reached the end of the forest. I was standing at the end of a cliff that stretches far below and makes the river down below looked small. In front of me, there was a bridge. It was one of those wooden bridges that has ropes. Though these bridges usually seemed like it was going to break down anytime soon, this one looked sturdy. On the other side, I saw Gail. Dressed in her summer dress and cardigan, hair neat as always, just standing there, with a baby in hand, looking at me, as I was looking at her.



"Cross the bridge"

And so I did. Each step was taken very carefully, as if I was afraid of destroying this little reality. I took more steps. As I reached the other side, I reached out to her, as she did with me. I closed my eyes, and when I opened, I was wearing that blue sundress and a cardigan, a little baby in my hands. I am Gail.

The once empty, young college girl named Celine had become a thirty six year old mother of a beautiful baby, Gail. I looked around, in this peaceful forest. This was the place I want to be, but I know that someday I have to return to my home in Connecticut and face reality.

"Stand up"

I wiggled my toes, mentally standing up, and then slowly, very slowly, gets myself up, physically. I was upright, my feet firmly on the ground. I can feel the fabric of my dress touching the skin of my legs.

"Open your eyes"

I opened my eyes. The dimly lit room was somewhat unfamiliar. But yet I knew where this place was. Rey asked us to do various of activities, such as counting to 10, and how I searched for something. I acted as if my baby's pacifier had gone missing and she wouldn't stop crying. So I searched frantically for it and when I do, I heaved a heavy sigh of relief before washing them and returning them to Elizabeth.

Rey also asked how we are in our "happy place". I realized where I found myself. In my garden, alone, reading a good book with my loyal dog. It was silent and peaceful, and for once I have a time to myself, away from Fred, Eric and my baby.

Rey then asked us how we slept. I got on the floor and slept on my side, curled up like a cat. I don't know why but I always felt much more safe and secure that way. Something unexpected happens. I heard Elizabeth cry, and I jumped out of the bed running to her. It was 3 in the morning and she had her midnight dose of milk already. I rushed out of bed to see whats wrong and calmed her down. Once she calmed down, I put her back in her baby crib and went back to my bed, before waking up in a couple of hour's time.

Then it was the day that the scene was set on. I got up and took the ever so familiar path to the bathroom quietly. No one's awake yet, so I got into the shower and gave myself a nice warm shower before stepping out to brush my teeth and get dressed. I took my sundress and cardigan as well as my underwear and wore them. Then, I went downstairs to get breakfast ready for myself and Fred, my usual ritual. Then I realized that it was time to do my weekly grocery shopping. So I took Elizabeth with me and went down to the nearest grocery store. I looked around and found the things that I need and made my way home

Afternoon came and it was about time that Eric came. Elizabeth was sleeping in her crib peacefully. The door bell rang and there he was, dressed in his usual checkered t-shirt, looking somewhat scrubby, and careless. The usual Eric. I led him upstairs to where Elizabeth was, whilst making small talks with him; the works.

Just when I was about to open the door;

"STOP! Break out from your characters"

Instantly, my once erect shoulders loosened up. I was Celine again. I heaved a heavy sigh, smiled at myself and got myself moving in the way Celine would. I was back as the 17 year old girl in her theater class again. Not as Gail, the mother of Elizabeth.

We gathered around Rey, and discussed what we've done. Rey actually asked us to get back into characters again. It felt a bit weird, because I wasn't fully into Gail. Rey then asked us about us. He asked us what we like to do, what we do. Basically anything about the character. Interesting huh. I answered how I liked spending my time alone, in peace with my loyal pet dog. :D I wish I have a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment