Sunday 15 April 2012

Script Reading

[Wednesday, 28th March 2012]


So it's been two weeks since we got our anthologies, so that means we had to show our choices today. Teck Sern and I had already met up to do some script readings, and came down to two choices; Flop Cop by Laura Cunningham and The Man Who Couldn't Dance by Jason Katims.

We went on with Flop Cop first. It's about a deranged playwright, who had lost his mind due to his constant downfall in life, and a cop, that's trying to capture him. I personally liked this play because it's dark, and there's a lot of possibility in the playwright character. It's up to the person, how they want to play them. Its interesting. But , the play is meant for two men, and there were too many references to testicles. If we were to choose that one it would mean having to change a lot of the script, because I'm a girl (you don't say :P)

So we ended up with the second one. The Man Who Couldn't Dance. It's about two people who used to be in each other's life, but had something along the way that tore them apart. Now she's married with a beautiful daughter, and he is living a simple life on his own. They took a walk down the memory lane, confesses to each other, and thought of what could have been if they hadn't screwed up along the way. I liked it because it's in a way sweet, and it taught me not to do something that you would regret :)

A Scene from another adaptation of The Man Who Couldn't Dance by Alma College

Other pieces that we considered included Ferris Wheel and Stars. We didn't go with Ferris Wheel because it had 3 kissing scenes in it, and I don't think I'm comfortable enough to kiss Teck Sern on stage or let him kiss me on stage. Nevertheless, I find the story very cute, and I could so imagine the girl as Emma from Glee. The kind of neurotic, awkward but cute at the same time kind of girl. Stars, I just didn't really get Stars. So that's why we didn't choose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment