Thursday 3 May 2012

The 8 Efforts

[Monday, 9th April 2012]

We're about 3 weeks away from finals. 3 WEEKS!! OK I'm starting to feel the pressure now.

So let's skip all the bulls and get on with what happened with theater.

So 11th April turns out to be a holiday, and because of that, the Wednesday class must be able to show the whole entire 10 minutes play by next week Wednesday. THE WHOLE ENTIRE 10 MINUTES PLAY. I'm regretting not meeting up with Teck Sern on Thursday now.

So today we learned about the 8 Efforts. It was made by some dancer, who I can't remember their name. Urgh I feel so disrespectful. Sorry, Mr 8 Efforts creator! So there are 8 main ways that a person can move in. So each character usually can be categorized under this light. This is suppose to help with characterization.

So the 8 Efforts are:
- PRESS - Heavy, Direct, Slow
- THRUST - Heavy, Direct Fast
- WRING - Heavy, Indirect, Fast
- SLASH - Heavy, Indirect, Fast
- FLOAT - Light, Indirect, Slow
- GLIDE - Light, Direct, Slow
- FLICK - Light, Indirect, Sudden
- DAB - Light, Direct, Sudden

So we had to move in these ways that Rey had specified, and we had to show him a couple of things. We had to show him how we sit, how we get dressed in the morning, how we walked in the mall and how we sing in a karaoke.

I remembered when we did the Thrust character, I turned into a lawyer. It was cool. I felt in control and high status. I sat upright, walked with my heads held high and my chest out. Fuyoohhh!! I felt like a total royalty. When I sang, I sang Rolling in the Deep. HAHA I could see Rey's hand went along when I drop the notes. :P

For the Glide character, I played a exam individulator. HEHEHE, it felt good pressuring my students. I walked slowly, and silently. My steps were light, but brought a certain feel of pressure on them. I was direct to where I am going, but slow in my pace, because I want to make sure that the students are being fair. I can't remember what song I sung, but I think I sung Faithfully by Journey. <3 that song.

I remember for the Flick Character, I was playing a 5 year old child. I was jumping about, skipping, light on my feet and stuff. God knows what I was doing. I was just having fun on my own, thats why I'm indirect. I follow whatever I feel like doing, hence sudden. And I was skipping about as if I was light on my feet. Truth was I felt light on my feet. I felt like a 5 year old having fun by myself. I remembered I sung ABC.

For the Wring character, I played a fashion director. I don't know why but I suppose because they never really talk in a straight forward demeanor. So I did. I was heavy in my footsteps, but was indirect and fast. Doing things however I feel like doing it, is my specialty. I think I sung Toxic by Britney Spears for this one. 

For the Dab character, I played a cheerleader. I was dancing around, being direct but still sudden and sharp in my movements. I was light in my steps. Heck I'm a cheerleader, you don't see a cheerleader going around walking and the grounds shakes right? They're like nymphs; running around, and climbing on each other as if it's nothing. I can't remember what song I sung but it was cool.

I couldn't remember what else I played on that day. But when I thought back about it again, I had an idea of what Gail would be like. I realized that Gail is probably a Dab character. She's light and sudden, but direct in her ways. Yes! I think this exercise had helped me out in figuring out my character more! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment