Thursday 1 March 2012

Rehealsal Notes - Assignment 4

So, in continuation of the previous phone calls, we had to do 3 phone calls, while at the same time showing three different personas that are part of ourselves. Just when Rey was explaining to me the ideas were flowing in. I had an idea of talking to a friend and talking to my mum, because the way that I talked to this two people is very different. As I was leaving, while I was talking to Lih Seng, I got another idea of talking to a person that I didn't like.

So I scripted the work straightaway, but of course there were a lot of changes towards the final script. I personally thought that this was the best work in terms of ideas that I've got so far. The first phone call I received would be from someone that I don't like trying to apologize to me, and because I was still angry at her, I won't be nice to her. The second phone call would be from a friend of mine whom I haven't seen in a while as she's overseas. She just got back and she's inviting me for her potluck. Third phone call would be from my mum, asking me if I was ready to go out. :D

First conversation

Second Conversation

Just had to put this one here XD

Anyway, here are the object exercises
Who am I?
- I am Celine, a 17 year old girl, waiting for her mum to pick her up to take her to the photocopy shop and for lunch
Where am I?
- In the living room of my house, the side window allows me to view the front gate so I'll know when my mum arrives.
What time is it?
- Around 11.30AM, 5-10 minutes before my mum arrives to pick me up.
What surrounds me?
- I'm sitting on the 3 seater sofa. I'm holding a book in my hand, reading it. My bag is slung over my shoulder. The tv in front of me is switched off. There's the coffee table right in front of me, and another 2 sofas on the left hand side. The window is on the right hand side, and the lighting comes from the outside
What are my relationships?
- I have a relationship with the book. The book keeps me entertained while I'm waiting. I have a relationship with the phone as I am waiting for a call from her.
What are the given circumstances?
- My mum left for a committee meeting for an event. I didn't want to go so I stayed at home, alone. Lunch time, there's no food at home, so my mum said that she'll pick me up to go for lunch and go photocopy the paperwork I need for my applications. I received a call from a person I don't like, then someone I haven't talked in a while, and then finally my mum.
Conversation 1
What do I want?
- I don't want to talk to her, I don't want to listen to what she has to say. I want to quickly finish off the conversation
What is in my way?
- She is very persistent. She's been calling me since the previous night and won't stop. She'll somewhat force me to listen to her
What do I do to get what I want?
- I'll pick up the call and tells her straight at her face that I don't want to talk to her. I also have to play a higher status than her, so I can interrupt, and in the end, end the conversation when I want to.
Conversation 2
What do I want?
- I want to keep talking with her, I want to catch up with her since I haven't talked to her in a while.
What is in my way?
- I have a very limited time since I'm waiting for my mum.
What do I do to get what I want?
- I try to keep the conversation going, so that I can talk to her.
Conversation 3
What do I want? 
- I want to get permission to go to my friend's house on Saturday for the weekends.
What is in my way?
- My mum is rushing me as she's close by. She doesn't seem to be very positive about letting me go on Saturday and simply asked me to ask my dad and told me to quickly wait outside for her.
What do I do to get what I want?
- I tried to debate with her, but she didn't seem to like the idea of me going for the potluck on Saturday, so I obeyed her, hoping that she'll allow me to go.
And here are the beats and script :D

Curtain
>Go downstairs and wait for mum < Skipped down the stairs < stopped in front of the sofa (entrance)
> Wonders if mum's here yet < looks out the window
> Mum not there < place my bag on the floor < sat on the sofa< reads a book to entertain myself.
Line: Phone rings
>Picks up the phone > see the caller
Celine (C): (>sighs, tilt head back) NOT AGAIN. She just doesn't understand does she? (picks up the call because I need to get rid of her)
Celine (C): Hello? (angrily)
Adrianna (A): Hello, Celine?
C: Yes, What do you want?
A: I just want to say I'm sorry.
C: I'm sorry, what? Apologize? (mocks)
A: Just listen. What I did to you wasn't right.
C: You knew it wasn't right, and yet you still did it anyway! (arms movement to emphasize anger) You didn't even come to me and sort things out, when it's the time to sort things out. I don't even know why I should be putting in the effort to be listening to you when clearly I DON'T WANT TO.
A: Wait, listen -
C: No! (shakes head) I don't want to listen, DON'T EVER CALL ME AGAIN. I have no time to be wasted on an IMMATURE BRAT like you. GOODBYE (hangs up)

>Puts back phone on the sofa, angrily> returns to reading the book > loud sigh
Line: Phone rings 

<Who's this?< I don't know this number < I should find out who it is > picks up the phone

Celine (C): Hello, who's this? (still a bit angry from the previous call)
Leandra (L): Hello, Celine? It's me, Lean! (silence) Hello, Celine?
C: OMG Lean!! HI!! You're back?
L: Yea, I'm back. Like two days ago.
C: Y U No call me earlier?
L: Sorry been held up.
C: I see, so what's up?
L: Nothing much I suppose. Hey this Saturday, I'm having a potluck at my house. You've got to come ok.
C: This Saturday huh? (pause, looks up, thinking) I SHOULD be free, but I'm not sure about my mum. She's been busy lately with all this event committee meetings and stuff. I don't really know what it is. I'll ask her and let you know yea.
L: AWWWWW.
C: Don't awwww me. IF I can make it, then I'll ask her to make your favorite spaghetti kay? Sounds good?
L: Yesss!! Anyway, mum's calling, so have to go. Sorry.
C: (whines) you have to go? OK lo. Hey we need to talk. I've got so much to tell you, like Adrianna just called just now.
L: HAHA YES, We need to talk like soon! Anyway, bye, see ya!
C: Alrights, bye, See ya soon. (hangs up, smiling)

>Puts phone back on the sofa> returns to read book.

Line: Phone rings

>picks up> sees caller <OMG mum> packs up

Celine (C): Halo, ma?
Mum (M): Halo, Lin? Dah siap? [ready?] Mami dah deket [I'm just around the corner.]
C: Sudah [Ready], I'm waiting for you.
M: Yang mau di photocopy dah lengkap? [Do you have the ones that you want to photocopy ready?]
C: Dah. [Yes]
M: Your transcript, letter, certificates?
C: Dah, dah. (zips bag) Oh yea mum, this Saturday, Lean's got a potluck thing. Can I go?
M: Ask your dad.
C: But ma, he'll ask me to ask u again one. (right at the door already, opening the door)
M: sigh. We'll talk about this later.
C: (sigh). Okok la. I'm outside already, waiting for you, kay? Ya udah, yok, bye. (hangs up)

>turns the door knob open>goes outside>close the door (exits)

I actually had a few problems with this piece. Yes it was enjoyable to do, but because it dragged on quite long, I had to cut some of the things that I thought would be great if I had put it in. There was a scene where I tease my friend who just came back, and I thought that was something that I would do to my friend. But due to the time constriction, I have to cut it out.

I had my brother watch and time it for me as well. He said that I should make my entrance faster as it was too draggy. So when I did make my entrance faster, it cut down quite a bit of time, which was a good thing. Thank you, Sammy!


No comments:

Post a Comment