Wednesday 29 February 2012

Mommy, I've got a boo boo :(

[Monday, 27th February 2012]

Somebody needs to fix that damned broken plug down at the Experimental Theater.

I mean the plastics are bloody sharp, and somebody could get hurt, like me. Well maybe I'm just that accident prone. Bleh. That's not cool.

Anyway, back to theater. Well today wasn't exactly like the same old Mondays. My dad was waiting for me in college, because we have to go somewhere else right after my class. So yea, after delivering Rey's package of 16 photocopied books, I went to finish up my applications, and find my dad. We were talking as usual as he ate his breakfast and pretty soon, my two dodgeball girlfriends, Reena and Grace came about. So we chatted until its 7.45 and I had to go.

Leanne, Vhina, Wilson, Wei Lim and David were there. Apparently I was so called "late", because I always come extra late. Haha. The door was locked so we had to wait until Rey come and open the door for us, and pretty soon he did. So we went in, settle down and class soon started.

After the usual briefing of the upcoming assignments, we began the warm ups; The usual walking in space. As a warm up, we had to tickle each other. No, that's not cool. I'M TICKLISH. So I was going around trying to not get tickled when at the same time trying to tickle others. Obviously I received a few tickles from other people too. Then it happened. I was just around the broken plug area, and I didn't see it was there. There were some people nearby, so I went in to tickle them, at the same time, they too tried to tickle me. So as I was dodging, I didn't see the broken plug and my toe bang to it. As a result, I have two cuts on my toe. Ouch. But that's not the point.

Then our work begins.

The Keyword for today is Status.



Status meaning high and low status. I've done this back in theater 101, so its not something so unfamiliar. But because they were Ms Pat's students around as well, he has to go through that again.

So we started with walking around, and we were given a number. I was number 1. At first the number 1s had to put their legs slightly wider apart, chest out, head held high. This was the stature of a high status person. Number 2s had to put their chest inwards, head down, leg slightly closer together. This was the stature of the low status person. At first we walked around like this, and then we, the number 1s had to initiate eye contact with the number 2. When I made eye contact with the number 2s, I felt superior, and to be honest, it felt good! Maybe because in some ways or another I have been at a higher status more than I have been a low status. Maybe; I'm not sure though. Then we had to make eye contact with the number 1s. When I looked to the number 1s, there were a sense of hostileness, and competition among the number 1s. It was as if, we're trying to push each other down. But others also felt acknowledgement.

Then we had to switch roles. So I had to play a low status person. To be honest, I felt somewhat miserable in this one. It didn't feel really good, because it's like the higher status were trampling all over you and you can't do anything about it. It felt like the higher status were looking down with pity. Although when I did make eye contact with those of the same status as me, it felt better. Still somewhat down, but in a way, I felt like I knew I wasn't alone. There were some degree of acknowledgement there, and it felt good. I could feel like naturally there were some little smiles escaping the corner of my lips.

Then after a short discussion, we were back in our groups again. This time the high status were gangsters, picking on the lower status nerds. I was part of the gangster. Damn I didn't know how to be a gangster. Not one and never gonna be one. So I did what I thought gangsters would do. Put my hands in my pocket, and walk proud as ever. Then it was time to go and pick on someone. I chose to pick on Lih Seng (woopsss). I was like, yea I need you to do my homework for me, I want it by tomorrow, if not you'll pay. Haha. Then, we switched status again. This time the high status were the rich kids and the low status were the poor kids. I didn't know what to say to them, other than yea good for you and nodding to them, and start to feel bad about myself, because I can't have what they have.

Then it was a status switched again. High status, smart, low status, stupid. But there was a catch. We're besties, so we have to be nice to each other. I was the high status one, and we had to pick a low status person to talk to. Looking around, I saw Vhina without a partner, so I went up to her and started talking to her. We started talking about our grades, and I tried to make her feel better, and even offered to help her, so she could do better next semester. To me, this comes naturally, as I was in high school, the same scenario plays out. I had better grades compare to some of my friends and because I was good friends with them, I would try and help them out so they would do better. When they did ask me about my marks, I would feel bad telling them if I knew I had done better, in fear of making them feel bad. So, I would just say things like, "oh I think I did quite well", "I'm pretty happy with my results" etc.

Story of my life, well sort of.

Then it was time to switch. This time was all about beauty. I was low status and I was pretty conscious with my body because I have very big, urgh, butt? HAHA. But I do get that in real life. People comes up to me telling me I have big butts. Damn, whatever people, I have curves. Well, better than being completely flat right? And yea I did walked around, very shyly, and self conscious. What made it worse was that I had a crush on this guy, so I picked a guy and I started kind of following him around. OMG I sound like a stalker. Anyway, so I did that and then I had to go up to him and ask him out for the upcoming dance. OMG NOOOOOO!!! I have never done this in real life, because I'll be too shy to ask the guy or whatnot. URGH NOOO! But I had to do it, so I went up to Wei Lim, and I stopped him, and asked him if he wanted to go to the dance with me, very silently. I swear I couldn't even hear myself properly, I don't know how he heard me, but then he said YES!! YAY for me! I wanted to ask more but I swear I couldn't get the words out. I was so scared. So I simply said, "so I'll see you then?" and walked off. As I walked off, I took glances at him again. Awkward. I tell you when Rey asked us to shake out, I was feeling hot, I mean literally hot. I could feel the back of my neck and my face getting hotter. I was in character.

We had to grab a block and pair up next. I wanted to pair up with Leanne, but no same sex pairing, and we had to split up and look for someone else. I saw Adam's pair getting up from their block, so I quickly went to sit down with him. We had to make up a scene starting with a fixed set of lines. So me and Adam quickly went to practice. But man the time wasn't enough and we end up improvising halfway. My attention to detail was so bad. URGH. One of my worst performances man. But no worries in time. When one was suppose to be higher than the other in terms of status, I appeared to be matching him in terms of status. Which was a complete fail.

One thing I learned today. Rey won't watch if he can't hear what you're saying. The trio group didn't get to finish their skit because they were called because of their projection 3 times. Sooooo... ALWAYS PROJECT YOUR VOICE. Shouldn't be a problem for me, because I'm loud. Hehehe..

PROJECT. PROJECT. PROJECT

No comments:

Post a Comment