Wednesday 15 February 2012

SUCCESS!

[Wednesday, 15th February 2012]

First performance, yes you heard it, SUCCESS! At least I think so, and I was happy with the results.

Today was the day I dreaded the most for the past few days. It was the day of the showcase of our second object exercise, and it was my first time to show the class what I've got.

AND I WAS CRAZILY NERVOUS!


I came early, to sort out the acting space Rey asked for with Vhina, and with the help of Wilson who happened to be there early as well, we managed to finish it pretty fast. By 8 am most of the people came, some whining that they had forgotten class starts at 8.30. Makes no difference for me, I come to college like at 7 am everyday. I have no choice :(

Pretty soon Rey joined us and we began the usual routine. Taking attendance, small briefing and warming up. We had 10 minutes to warm up and I began with walking within the space, trying to get the feel of my upcoming performance. After a few minutes, I began to play with my props, getting use to the feel of it and practicing as if how I would do it if I was up on stage.

Pretty soon, the skits started. Valerie opened the day with hers. I thought it was ok, but majority of the time, she was giving her back to the audience, so I felt that was a little bit of a shame. Lih Seng's one was good, it was believable. As he was massaging his leg/knee, whatever, I could actually feel the pain on his knee as if it was on mine. He had some good sense work, but as he left the stage I didn't know what he was going to do and where he's going. I thought it felt as if like he just has to leave the stage because he has to. Wei Lim's train scene was nice. But I thought it was too draggy, Rey liked it though, but that's just what I thought.

I wasn't called until there were only 2 of us left. It was only me and Teck Sern left to do our skits. Damn I was scared. I didn't want to go last. Luckily, Rey called my name first, so I quickly set up and started my scene.

It didn't go the way I had rehearse it though. I was nervous, my hand was shaking, and my heart was beating very fast. Because of that it was pretty hard to coordinate my hand to put the hook inside the small openings of the knots, and I was I tell you, kinda frustrated. Finding out that I did something wrong pisses me off even more and finding there were tangles on my yarn doesn't help. I tried untangling it and it frustrates me even more that the tangles were unsolvable. GRR. So I stormed off.

Rey didn't comment much. But Lih Seng thought it shouldn't have been so tense and annoyed. But Rey did mention about the feeling coming from the action, which I assume I did. YAY! Another thing that Rey said was that I was focused! I couldn't be happier that I had some good remarks.

But because he didn't comment much, I didn't know what I had to work on. So I came up to him after I packed up and asked what I could have done better. He said that it would have been more interesting if I had actually expected the tangle more and be all like, "Not again", kind of thing. He also added it would have been more realistic if I had looked at the paper more. To add to that, I personally think, that if I hadn't been so nervous I could have done a better job.

Rey presented us with the third assignment. That is, we had to have a phone conversation. We can either give a call or receive a call. I have an idea of what I'm going to do already, I just need to script it and practice it. I'm going to do me calling my mum to let her know I was going to be back late, and don't pick me up at the usual time. She's not happy, so the scene will be about me trying to calm her and work out a solution. Hopefully it'll work.

 A piece by Roy Lichtenstein, one of my favorite pop artist

Rey did gave us some tips that is to listen and give pauses for the person to reply. Majority of bad actors doesn't give space when they are pretending to talk on the phone and it's fake. So I'm going to have to work on the pauses and the length of the pauses. I hope it'll turn out well! I still have to think of what to do when I have that phone call. Because we unconsciously do things when we're having a call such as fiddling with a pen or scribbling things. I'm thinking pen and paper, but those are so cliche and everyone's gonna do it. So I'm going to have to do more brainstorming since we need 3 props, phone not included.

So far I'm pretty happy with today, I just hope that I will improve in my next assignment!

No comments:

Post a Comment