Sunday 26 February 2012

Awkward~~~

[Monday, 19th February 2012]
[I've been lazy, as usual]

Monday morning, NO, theater, YES.

Ok let's start. I arrived at 8.45 as usual, earlier than last week at least, and guess what I found.

SOMEONE HAS TAKEN OFF THE MASKING TAPE!!

So that means I have to re-tape the floor again. That's not cool, that's not cool.

Well that aside, we started with the usual signing of our attendance, fixing our contact details etc. Now comes the good part.

We start with walking around in space, and as usual, making a sense of privacy, which was normal.
Then Rey started to make us look into the eyes of the people whom we past. That was still OK. Next was to tap the shoulder. I honestly didn't know where this was going, and I thought this was pretty normal. And next was to tap the heads of the people whom we past. Sucky thing is that I'm short! I can't simply tap other people's head without having to tiptoe or something. But it was still pretty normal to me, and it was great fun as we let out a few giggles and stuff (I don't think we should do that)

Then the awkward parts came. WE have to tap each other's backside. Yes, you heard me, BACKSIDE. That was awkward considering I'm in a male dominated class, and there were only like 5 girls. Obviously this was received with a bunch of laughter, but I suppose, this was to be expected to come out of Rey, and yea, we had fun, tapping each other's ass. Oh God that sounds wrong.

Next one was we're suppose to pair up. So I paired up with Leanne. This exercise we had to taunt each other, and chase after each other's backside. It was good. It was like one of those little children's game we played back when we were young. Screams, shouts, laughter could be heard inside that Experimental Theater, in that morning. Interesting exercise I must say.

And then we had to change pairs, and Rey doesn't want a one gender group. So I went with Lih Seng this time, and while our class was an odd numbered class that day, Zong Yong joined us to make a trio. At first I was like oh no. But I realized from being under Rey from theater 101, that it was just my brain trying to be safe. I quickly get rid of the thought and had fun instead. It was fun; we had this whole teamwork thing going on, where one taunts and the other spanks. Well I did receive a few spanks, but it wasn't an offending or anything. It was simply part of the fun. The following part was harder and one that I always dreaded, kind of. We had to do things in slow-mo. Man it was tough. I mean you always have that urge to speed up and stuff. But we learned something here, and that was to control our body, and sometimes let things happens. Once in a while we had to freeze and this is tough. I knew this since Theater 101, especially when you end up in an uncomfortable position.

Again, we had to switch partner. I was going to go with Vhina, but Rey told us it has to be a mixed group. So I looked around and end up partnering with Josh.  We both go way back since the Fall 2011 semester from sharing the same American Lit class. Again we had to do the whole tapping of the backside again, at slow-mo, and then Rey decided to add a word and we had to move according to the word. First word was Ballet. It was still OK I suppose. I mean we had to move gracefully, and having to do it in slow motion made it a little bit easier I suppose, and besides being someone who loves to dance, though untrained, it makes it all the more comfortable.

Next word was one that puts a lot, if not most of us off. The word was SEXY. Yes, SEXY. I suppose it was kinda expected, but doesn't mean that I was comfortable enough to do it. Again it took me a while to get used to it. But I think Josh and I did a pretty good job. LOL. I mean our faces were like literally centimeters away from each other. I was quite surprised that I wasn't scared or uncomfortable being that close to someone. Maybe it was because I'm already comfortable being around him. But if you tell me to do it outside theater class, OH HECK NO. Regardless, I suppose that wasn't kinda enough, as Rey commented our class being the most unsexy class at all. Well I suppose it will be, in time, in time.

Last but not least, was VIOLENCE. We accidentally sped up, and earning a little scolding from Rey. When we did slow down, man it was tough, because we had to fall on the ground and stuff. Maybe I should have given Josh more chance to push me down (whoopsies). Most of the time it was him falling down. But yea, I had to help him fall down, luckily he wasn't that big and wasn't something that I couldn't handle. In the end, I had to pretend kill him, and after that do an exit where I walked off as if nothing happened.

Being in a theater class it is important to be comfortable with each other, and this exercise is what it's helping us do. It's also teaching us to give and take, although I think I could and should have given more instead of taking so much. Next time I need to learn to give more chances for my partners. It's also about being in control of your body. Being in slow motion is hard because we don't have enough control of our body to do that. But I'm sure we will get better.

Well the next part, Rey had us relax down after an exercise. We laid down on the floor, relaxing and feeling our breaths go deep inside our stomach. It felt so good that I think I nearly slept. At some point I could feel my body felt so heavy that I was sinking through the ground. It was much faster than when I did it in Theater 101. Rey soon had us pairing up again, oh thank God otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have fallen asleep.

We sat down and had to stare at Rey. He then picked up his hands and we had to follow. It was hard to see, because I was pretty far from him and Teck Sern was blocking my view. But I could somewhat tell where his hands were going. We then had to turn to our nearest neighbor, and mine was Zong Yong. Josh, who didn't have a partner end up coming with us. We sat down in a triangle and stared at each other. I had to go back and forth from both Zong Yong and Josh. At first I didn't get anything at all. Slowly and slowly, I began to receive sadness from Zong Yong, at the point that I was going to tear up. I could feel myself choking. But from Josh, his stares was somewhat scary. I swear I didn't want to look at him, and I end up forcing myself to. Rey then wanted something to happen. I didn't feel it the first time. I saw Teck Sern getting up and sitting down by the benches. But I continued to stare at the two boys. The second time Rey asked for that, I felt that it was time to move. I got up, and made my way to the benches, and besides it was a good excuse to go to my bag and get my eye drop because my eyes were getting very dry. I sat down for a while there, as if thinking what to do. I still felt that choke in my throat. Soon I made my way back, and sat down with the boys, the same thing was still there. Thank God pretty soon, Rey called it off.

Through this exercise, I realized the importance of eye contact, and through your eyes it could reveal so many things. Though there was no changes visible, there were small, tiny changes that somehow changes my emotions. It was truly a great experience to be able to feel that.

Rey then told us about our upcoming assignment. The next one was to do a 2 minute skit of 3 phone calls and through those 3 phone calls, we had to play 3 different personas. I had a rough idea of what I'm going to do with mine. I was going to do a skit of receiving a call from someone I dislike, from someone I hadn't been in touch for a while and from my mum.

Well I can't wait for next week class, to see what Rey has in store for us. Something challenging would be nice. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment