Monday 19 March 2012

Rehearsal Notes - Neutral Script

So, following the Monday class, Teck Sern and I straightaway met up over brunch/breakfast with some others. We sort of just talked about the basic idea. All the idea generation was done at night via facebook chat. HEHE, the wonders of facebook.

We settled on the idea of a comrade dying for the battlefield scene, where by Teck Sern gets hit and I  had to pull him to cover. Then he would persuade me to go. At first I would refuse to leave him, but in the end I did. As for the beauty parlor scene, Teck Sern would be a obnoxious, rich and desperate boy who tried to get me to go on a date with him. He doesn't really want me, its just that he needs a partner for an event. So I was the last measure. But knowing this, I refused but in the end obliged just to get him off my backside.

The next day we met up and practiced down at one of the classrooms with Leanne and Co. The plan was to get us to watch each other, which failed, cuz both groups end up working on their own thing. So Teck Sern and I started on the beauty parlor scene with the help of Leanne as her company hasn't arrived. That went on quite smoothly and as planned. It wasn't that hard because there wasn't much connection between the two characters, and I've rejected people and not feel bad about it so you know. hehe :P

But when we tried out the battlefield scene, I realized that I just wasn't comfortable to do something so dramatic and all. We tried it out and we felt it didn't work. So instead we came up with another skit where I was a civilian trapped in an aftermath of a battle. Teck Sern was an amateur soldier who found me. At first I didn't trust him but in the end, I saw his sincerity and took his hands. I thought that this was another approach of a  battlefield instead of having a scene set when the battle is still going on.

So here's the beat sheet and object exercise:

Scene 1: Beauty Parlour




Who am I?
- A young beautician who specializes in manicures. Looks of average standard. Friendly and nice to her customers


Where am I?
- In my station, sitting behind the manicuring table.


What time is it?
- Afternoon, around 1pm. After Lunch. The time where there's least customers


What are my relationship?
- I need to get my this guy's manicure right. I have a relationship with my filer to help me get his nails right


What are the given circumstances?
- This guy is trying to get me to go out with him. I know he doesn't actually want to go out with me and is just desperate.


What do I want?
- I don't want to go out with him. I know he's not sincere and he's desperate. I just want to get him done and over with


What is in my way?
- His persistence, I'm busy and my boss won't let me go


What do I do to get what I want?
- I accepted but quickly gave  him his bill when he's done, hoping he would leave.


Curtain 
Teck Sern (TS): (enters, looking as if he's the king of the world)

Celine (C): (sitting down on her chair, doing her own nails. Realizes that she has a customer, sits up and smiled at him while putting down her filer. The customer settles down and she took a different filer used for the customers and she starts doing his nails)
TS: Please
C: (smiles, hesitate, eyes still on the nail she was doing) I can't
TS: Just try
C: I don't know
TS: (a little more desperate) Please
C: (Pauses, continues with the nail that she was doing, heaves, and reaches for the nail polish on her right, picks one up) Can you-
TS: (cuts off) DON'T EVEN.
C: But-
TS: NO! (to himself) You're mad.
C: (stayed silent, goes on to his other hand)
TS: Please.
C: (pauses, heaves a sigh) Alright (smile half heartedly. Finished his other hand and quickly wrote down the bill)
TS: Ready?
C: (stops writing the bill) You know (she looks up, and stop halfway through her sentence)
TS: What's that?
C: (continues back to writing the bill and passes it to him) Here.
TS: (grabs the bill, gets up and walks off) Okay.
C: (sarcastically) Great.

Scene 2: Battlefield



Who am I?
- A civilian trapped in the middle of a war zone. I'm scared to death and is suspicious of anyone who gets close, though I am helpless.


Where am I?
- In the middle of a war zone. The front lines


What time is it?
- Midday, after the battle. 


What are my relationships?
- The ruins surrounding me are my protectors.



What are the given circumstances?
- I'm stuck there. I don't want to die so I just stayed there. If I go out I might actually die


What do I want?
- To live


What is in my way?
- My fears, my suspiciousness


What do I do to get what I want?
- I studied the person that found me carefully, making sure that he's not going to do bad things to me.

Beats
Curtain
C: (hiding in a corner, scared, looks around and made herself as small as possible)
TS: (enters in and walks around, carefully, a sense of fear and cautiousness around him.)
C: (sees the soldier entering and slowly turning to her direction, she softly cried) Please.
TS: (jumps and points the gun at her, to which she looks surprised, and cringed even closer to the ruins behind her. He approached her slowly and when he realized that she's harmless, he drops his weapon and squats down next to her and extend his hand. Pauses and when she doesn't respond, had to break the silent. Strictly) Please.
C: (looks at the hand, shakily) I can't
TS: Just try
C: I don't know (maintain level of shakiness and fear)
TS: Please (higher tone)
C: Can you - (Looks away from him)
TS: Don't even (firmly)

C: But (scared) NO! (slaps his hands away)
TS: (mutters) You're mad (silently and gently, once again extending his hands) Please.
C: (looks back at him, makes eye contact, looks at his hands, reaches out, hesitates and slowly took it) Alright 
TS: Ready? (gets up)
C: You know (Hesitates, but was pulled up by TS)
TS: What's that? 
C: (shakes head)
TS: here (ushers her in the direction of the exit)
C: okay (runs towards the exit)
TS: Great (follows behind)


Well we have some problem with the exit of the second scene. Why does all the problem comes from the second scene, ugh. Oh wells we'll see what happens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment